Thursday, March 3, 2011

Catching Up With Melanie

It seems like I post about once or twice a week these days. Melanie and I have a regular routine in the morning and we keep working on the things that I feel are important. She really is doing a great job as my little Guide, even the dog distractions don't seem quite as "distracting" as they used to. Of course, many people are keeping their dogs from interacting and some ask if it would be okay for the dogs to meet. Sadly, right now, I tell them it would not be a good idea since Melanie still needs more discipline in that area, but, hopefully, eventually, as we walk and meet some of the regulars, we can stop and have a calm hello. But, all in all, she's doing much better. Yesterday, we walked to "Pet Extreme" and bought her 3 new nylabones, regular, bacon, and chicken. I also ordered an extra handle for her harness as a backup.

Today was our first time together when I went to have blood drawn for a annual lab test. She was her usual "lady-like" self and everyone said how well-behaved she was, not realizing the amouut of time and money it took to get her that way. However, I still have to be the one to be sure she follows the Guide Dog rules. My husband picked us up there and on the way home we stopped for breakfast at Coco's restaurant. Again, she was very polite but found it hard to get all the way under the table because of the way the booth tables are desined. But she worked it out and all the staff loved her. We went for one of our "power" walks to burn off some energy and now she's in the TV room with my husband "loving and teasing" him. Every day I'm so thankful to my puppy raiser and GDB for giving me this opportunity to live my life with such a special little person (I mean dog).

No comments:

Post a Comment