Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Busy, Busy, Melanie

We have had some really good days out walking and working. I've been listening more closely to the GDB CD's on obedience and training and have realized that some things I was doing was getting a little lax, which, of course, Melanie picked up on. I have really tried to be consistent with her, ie., when she slows or stops at a curb, I probe with my foot to find the edge of the curb which makes her wait a little longer before we cross a street and she also notices the foot probe as a signal. Also, during dog distractions, I more often use the command "NO" in a very firm voice with a encouraging hoppup. Using the correct terms, ones that were used with her seems to help get her attention most of the time.

Yesterday, was her first visit to the mammography center for my annual screening. Instead of putting us in with the other patients and having to use a locker to put my belongings in, we went right into one of the screening rooms. It was much quieter and more room and except for one little "down" command, Melanie lay there, leash outstretched on the floor until I was done. I asked the tech the direction to the waiting room and Melanie took me right there, she found the stairs to the outside door and we walked a long way home. It was such a beautiful day, we went on the rec trail and she was happy.

Today, we took a shorter walk in the morning and went to one of my BVIC board meetings in the afternoon. There were a lot of people there, but she was a very attentive and alert Guide. I am really proud of her.

No comments:

Post a Comment