Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Visiting the BVIC and Grocery Shopping

Melanie and I stopped at the BVIC to drop off a few things and visit our friends. The LOVE is just too wonderful. Later, we dropped by our small local grocery store and picked up a couple of cooked chicken breasts for dinner. The amazing thing is that Melanie is so well-trained, that she doesn't even bother me while carrying home the tempting treats. I wanted to tear the bag open and eat them, but she just nonchalantly walked me home. She really was so well-behaved the last few days that I will take her on a short walk down the recreational trail tomorrow. I know she will love it and so will I.

I also got a couple of emails from a few of my classmates who are settling in with their Guides. One lives in Minnesota and said they'd been taking long walks until there was an early snow storm. The problem he was having was his Guide wasn't able to keep a straight line crossing the street in the snow, so that's something he's working on. Another classmate said his new Guide was settling in well with his previous Guide (who coincidentally, is now blind), but for some reason all his dinner napkins seem to be disappearing. Something aLab is noted for finding and playing/eating. So, it seems even the experienced guide dog handlers still have to adjust to a brand-new dog personality in their lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment