Saturday, November 27, 2010

Work and Reality are Setting In

The last couple of days we had part good walks and part stressful, in that at times Melanie behaved like a perfect Guide Dog and other times like a spoiled puppy. I know she still is in a puppy stage; however, it's important I keep her on track, especially when it comes to other dog distractions and when she drags her feet knowing that we're going home. Apparently, she could trot all day, alas, I can't. I try to get two walks a day with her on different routes, but she mainly wants to walk the recreation trail. I can't blame her, but it's not her choice to make (at least that's the way GDB explained it). I've been re-listening to their CD's on how to deal with various dog issues and still have more to listen to. I probably need to talk with a GDB instructor to make sure my technique for focusing her attention away from other dogs and back on her work. She always has plenty of play time when she gets home so she shouldn't get distracted from her work. Of course, it's been less than a month since we got home from training but I don't want to be using correction techniques that are not working correctly. Ah, Yes, Guide Dog Reality!

No comments:

Post a Comment