Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Melanie is Responding to New Technique

The last couple of days, I've tried a new technique learned from one of GDB's CD's, in that I've kept the Gentle Lead on while out walking and as soon as we get near a dog distraction and she responds to my stern correction I've been giving her "jackpot" treats, meaning 3 or 4 treats in a row to really keep her focused on me. It seems to be working pretty well. I'm only doing that type of reward on really annoying distractions, not the occasional bark or passing dog under good control. Then she gets good praise andencouragement to keep going. We didn't walk this afternoon but I let her play in the back yard. I needed to do a lot of Melanie laundry, washing all her beds and towels, etc., vacuuming and dusting hair. Between her and the 2 cats, the house becomes a giant fur ball every other day. I brush Melanie every day, brush her teeth twice a week, clean her ears once a week, and tomorrow I have to give her heart worm medication and flea & tick preventitive. She's a full time job, but she looks beautiful and healthy. I'm just lucky to fit in a hair appointment for myself this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment