Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Walking on Fisherman's Wharf in Monterey

Melanie and I had a lovely walk along the ocean and walked on Fishrman's Wharf to look at the fishing boats coming in and out. She was really very attentive, but still got distracted by dogs; however, I continued obedience work with her during those times and she re-focused. It appears to be something we need to work on a ot. She really wants to play with all the dogs, I guess because she's still in her puppy stage; however, that's something we need to work on constantly. We went out again later in the afternoon and she was generally distracted and pouty, so I put the "Gentle Leader" on her to help focus her better, but she was still being somewhat obstinate. We're obviously in the testing stage of our relationship. Otherwise, her behavior at home is exemplary. Just before I got in the front door after our second walk, my husband said I had to go across the street and visit our 86 year old neighbor who's lived there for probably 50 - 60 years. She has a large family who look after her, but she's still the matriarch of the block. She'd been watching me come and go with Melanie but never had enough time to get up and call me over and I was so busy with Melanie, I didn't think to drop by. Apparently she had stopped by while I was out and told my husband that I needed to stop by so she could meet Melanie. Well, here we go, everyone, loves Melanie ad she did as well. Now she wants us to walk around the block together so she can see how Melanie does her job. We've been friendly neighbors for many years, but Melanie is now becoming the most important member of our neighborhood and I think that's just Great!

No comments:

Post a Comment