Monday, December 6, 2010

We Had Two Good Days

Yesterday and today was a pleasure walking with Melanie. I didn't use the Gentle Lead on her when we took a walk on the rec trail yesterday and left it off even when we went into our little local grocery store. I only needed a couple of things and she was doing just fine at heel position. The afternoon weathr looked threatening so I let her have more freedom in the house and she didn't act like a maniac, just curious and, of course, sniffing. Today, we had two good walks, this morning partly on the rec trail but stopped atNob Hill food store to pick up a few other items. I think she likes shopping. She's so calm and well-behaved. I've had to carry my purchases in a "green" cloth bag on my right shoulder, but that doesn't seem to bother her as we walk. Then, we did an afternoon short walk along the trail and she was a little more distracted, the wind had picked up and there were more dogs around. She did show some distraction, but focused more quickly. One thing she does do, is that when we pass a dog distraction and I praise her, she starts to slow down and look at me waiting for the "jackpot" treats. If it's just a little distraction, I give her one treat or just good praise. She learns everything so quickly, especially how to get treats.

No comments:

Post a Comment